AHSAA Central Board Approves Super 6 Audit
The Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) Central Board of Control approved the Super 6 Football Championship audit and the financial reports for the state volleyball, cross country and swimming championships at its Winter meeting Wednesday at the AHSAA State Office.
The Super Regional Volleyball Tournament, making its debut last November in Huntsville and Montgomery, proved to be a major success, said AHSAA Executive Director Steve Savarese. “The Super Regionals were well attended and a success financially,” he said.
Savarese said 2012 cross country and swimming championships were the most successful ever financially, “and our schools did not have to pay any entry fee for either championship event which was an additional saving to our member schools,” he said.
The Super 6 attendance was the best it has been in the last five years, the audit showed.
The Central Board also heard a presentation from current AHSAA contributing partner Play On Sports, a digital internet streaming company.
Central Board member Dr. Craig Pouncey of the State Department of Education also gave a report concerning a recent meeting with state legislators to discuss school safety and athletic events. Savarese reported that the AHSAA has had an emergency plan in place for more than two years requiring event hosts to have such plans in writing.
In other action, the Central Board:
- Approved the 2012 football playoff financial report (first four rounds).
- Approved expenses for the upcoming 2013 Final 48 State Basketball Tournament.
- Gave approval to the AHSADCA to explore options concerning the Alabama-Mississippi
All-Star Football and Basketball Games.
- Heard an update on the new AHSAA Compliance Officer school audit program which
was instituted this school year.
- Reviewed legislative proposals that have been submitted online thus far this month. The
deadline for submitting proposals is Jan. 31.
- Was updated about the AHSAA’s C2C software program currently under construction.
- Saw a highlight video from the 2012 Super 6 state football championships.